NEW DISTRIBUTION FACILITY
Berkeley County, SC
Piggly Wiggly commissioned FDG to undertake a Distribution Planning Study to determine its future distribution needs and to evaluate how its existing facilities could be used to support those requirements. The culmination of the study provided building and site layouts and led Piggly Wiggly to select FDG to provide architecture and engineering services for their new facility.
- New 593,300 SF distribution center for dry grocery, frozen foods, salvage and fleet maintenance.
- 442,600 SF grocery area including docks and a 115,600 SF -10 degree/-20 degree freezer area with 34 degree freezer dock.
- Central ammonia refrigeration system.
- Underfloor warming systems provided in the freezer to prevent permafrost formation.
- All loads will use 40” X48” GMA pallets stored on a 40” face.
- The facility uses both single deep selective rack and two deep double pushback racking.
- ESFR fire protection provided in the ambient temperature areas. Dry type in-rack sprinkler system provided in the freezer.