SMITH & NEPHEW PLC
MEDICAL PRODUCTS MANUFACTURING FACILITY, CASTING & BANDAGING G.B.U.
Reynosa, Taliupus, Mexico
Smith & Nephew PLC was in need of a new medical products manufacturing facility with future expansion capabilities, to produce natural and synthetic castings and bandaging used in the emergency, treatment, and extended care medical industry. Facility Design Group was commissioned to conduct a feasibility study, site location and selection, process equipment integration and migration, all site installation and equipment start-up. The firm also provided complete architecture, process and facility engineering, equipment procurement with program and project management, construction management, and full on-site supervision. Features of the facility include:
- 85,000 SF medical products manufacturing plant including three discrete processing lines for manufacturing and packaging, materials and products warehouse, laboratory, office administration and support space
- Computer controlled high technology continuous process lines for natural plaster of Paris, and epoxy coated cast material production
- Manufacturing process includes bulk receiving, precision pre-batching, homogeneous mixing, and belt drying
- Automated blending and drying stations served by solvent recovery and air emissions control systems for ethanol and methylene chloride
- Equipment migration, procurement and consolidation project combining equipment from 5 countries and 7 plants
- FDA compliant facility with 100% environmental control of all spaces throughout the plant
- Energy efficient mechanical plant balancing facility and equipment demand with process and environmental systems demands for steam and hot water, compressed air, chilled and tower water.